Friday, August 14, 2009

Water oh water...how I love thee!

Today I decided to blog about my true affinity for water. Sure, I've talked about it before, but it's become such a great part of my life (and since I'm already 2/3's water it makes sense) I wanted to tell you all about it!

Mama and I go to the pool just about every day that she doesn't work. And since she's been off work for a little over 2 weeks, there have been a plethora of trips. Lucky me! Most recently, my favorite trick at the pool is a little game Mama calls "Dunk the Boy!" I really like this game and try to do it by myself--without much success--but I digress. How this game works is Mama takes me out to the deeper part of the pool where I can't touch. She hangs onto me and says "1, 2, 3, Go!" and then she dunks me. Although it sounds simple, Mama is proud of the fact that it's teaching me how to count to three as well as how to hold my breath. I have been trying to tell her that I'm a pretty knowledgeable dude and I already know these things, but she insists. If Mama does not play "Dunk the Boy!" enough I kick her and try to escape from her grasp until I can dunk myself. Mama says it doesn't work very well, but I disagree. I get dunked and then Mama rescues me. It actually works out quite well.

The next trick that I have started at the pool does not involve Mama much at all. I stand along the edge and play with my toys. Then I throw a ball into the pool and dive after it. Mama calls this game "Rescue the Drowning Victim". I don't find that very amusing, but Mama's got a weird sense of humor so I'll let her have her way this one time. Of course after I dive in after the ball, Mama doesn't give me the chance to right myself and return safely to the side. She just grabs me and looks at me intently (sometimes with panic on her face--it's actually quite comical) and puts me back to the side of the pool. The other day she told me that we had to leave because it was getting too stressful playing "Rescue the Drowning Victim". I'll just have to keep doing it to break her in. Ha ha ha.

The final trick that I am perfecting is walking in the pool. Initially I tended to ambulate much more in the pool that I did at home and although that is leveling itself out a bit, I still love to take off from Mama and walk away. I do pretty well and if I do fall in the pool where it's too deep for me, I flip myself over and try to get my little face out of the water. Mama typically does the grab me, look at me, and return me to where I was thing, but again, I'll just have to keep breaking her in.


Another exciting water fact is that my friends Andy and Calison gave me a water table for my birthday! See the picture above if you are not sure what that is. This thing is fantastic! I can use this when the pool is not yet open or when I just feel like cooling off for a minute. It's got this cool spinning wheel that is activated by water, a cup (probably my favorite part), and two sail boats. This thing is the coolest! I really love to play with it and think that the only thing that would make it better is if Mama would let Alice play up on the deck with me in my water table. Mama says that would be too messy. I just think she's too strict. I'll keep begging her and eventually she'll give in. I'm just sure of it!


If you all notice, Mama and I are blogging only about her and I up to this point. So here comes the good part...Papa joins the blogging circuit! Whooo hooo! Today Mama, Papa, and I went on a picnic and swim trip to the Coralville Reservoir. It was great! First we ate on a picnic table in a shaded area overlooking the beautiful lake. (See the picture above). Mama made a fine meal of gourmet sandwiches and intricate salads with an accoutrement of crudete. Okay, so I'm embellishing a bit. It was really just turkey sandwiches, lettuce salads, and veggies and dip, but it was quite tasty on this hot summer day. After the feast, came the best part that I'm completely jazzed to tell you about. We went swimming in the lake! Now when I say 'we', I must be more specific. It was really just me swimming. Mama and Papa did not have their swim gear, but I had strategically placed my swim trunks in the car when Mama wasn't looking. I'm a thinker! Papa walked me out so that I could stick my face in the water and kick my legs and paddle my hands. I really liked that part. Mama was being a total woos on the shore because she thought that the bottom of the lake felt "gross". What a BABY! And to think--she's the oldest one of us and 27 years older than me! I kinda liked the squishy stuff under my feet and really had fun playing in the sand both in the water and on the beach. Mama told me that she thought that we would be finding sand in every crevice of my body for many days to come--and that was after my bath when we got home! The sand was great, but I didn't like it on my hands very much. I stick them in my mouth a lot and sand just isn't very appetizing.



Well, I'd better head off to bed. Mama, Papa, and I had a late dinner at The Vine in Coralville this evening. I feasted on a burger, some bun, a couple of french fries, some applesauce, and lots of water. I'm stuffed and exhausted from my exciting day that I got to spend with my Papa. I love you, man! :-)

Have a good night everyone!

Carter Sherman

No comments: