Saturday, May 16, 2009

Grandpa's Birthday...


Greetings and salutations,

You might be inquiring as to the photograph utilized as the preface for today's blog. Well, since you asked (in a non-verbal format), I shall gladly explain. This is one of the few pictures I have with my Grandpa Sherman. I am the subtle guy in black, covered by my Mama's abdominal wall. Myself, along with Mama, Papa, and Grandpa are shown celebrating Mama's graduation from her Masters in Nursing program on May 17th, 2008. Given that today, May 16th, 2009 would have been my Grandpa's 45th birthday, I thought it was a perfect occasion to share this picture.

Unfortunately, the good Lord took Grandpa home to Heaven before I could get to meet him personally. We missed each other by only a couple of weeks. But, from long conversations with Mama and Papa I feel that I know him well. The time that I have spent with Mama, Papa, and Uncle Tyler have shown me that Grandpa Sherman was an excellent man. The stories about Grandpa are legendary. For instance, Papa informs me that Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa once stated that Grandpa may have to attend military school given some of his youthful indiscretions. Calling their bluff, as he saw it, he drove the family down to Missouri to take a look at the aforementioned school. When he got out of the car for only a moment, he turned around to find his luggage next to him and the family truckster gone! He only spent one year there, but I think he learned his lesson. That is certainly high comedy, and rest assured Papa will not pull that one on me!

But I gather that Grandpa Sherman taught Papa, Uncle Tyler, and Uncle Colin a lot more than remaining in the car on family road trips. The value that each places on their respective families is evidently something that they learned from Grandpa. And hard work...I wonder if anyone worked harder than Grandpa from the tales that I have heard. Upon further reflection, I surmise that those two values are intertwined; Grandpa worked very hard to provide for the thing he loved more than anything in life, his family. This has not been lost on his sons, as they continue to work hard. Even at the tender age of nine months, I have taken this lesson to heart, working diligently to improve my phonics and ambulatory status. As the days pass Mama and Papa continue to share the wisdom of Grandpa; the only thing better would be acquiring this knowledge firsthand.

In the end, I would just like to apologize to Grandpa because I did not get him a gift this year. There was nothing tangible that lined the local retail establishments that was suitable for such an occasion. Instead, a reflection is what I have to offer. From Heaven I hope that he realizes that everything he stood for and taught his sons continues to be displayed daily. It is also being passed along to me such that his values will flourish for generations to come. Those facts and the virtually constant smile on my face are in honor of you, Grandpa. I love you very much and miss you.


Carter

Someone in Heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: