Sunday, April 05, 2009

Holy Week...

Greetings and salutations,

Recently you have become acutely aware of my fondness for the English dialect. While I meander toward its mastery, I have begun bellowing out my own dulcet interpretations of said language. However, my propensity for conversing does not preclude me from being an astute listener and observer. The last few months have taught me more than a thing or two, and one such enlightenment is about to culminate this week.

Many of you might be aware that this is Holy Week, a series of sacred religious days leading up to the celebration of Easter. This, at least in the Catholic faith, is the most important week in the entire calendar year. Now, I have yet to experience a full calendar year, so I am taking their word for it on that matter. In any event, this year is especially significant in our home. Sure, this is my sentinel gathering with the Easter Bunny. The lore of this creature is fascinating, but a topic for another day. No, Holy Week 2009 is pertinent because Mama will be joining the Catholic church.

Every Sunday for the past several months we have bundled up and traversed the highways and byways to attend both Mass and the associated educational classes. Surely, there are earlier services and hauling me around on late Sunday evening is less than convenient. However, Mama has found the endeavor important enough to see it through. And to that end, she is not merely punching the clock. I have been impressed with Mama's interest, sincerity, and level of participation throughout the process.

As Mama tells me, honesty is the best policy. Consequently, I must admit that I understand few of the nuances of the theological discourse that transpires in that classroom. However, there are a lot of other people there for me to peruse; thus, I am content. But more so, Mama is serving as a great role model for the importance of faith in one's life, regardless of said faith. I am looking forward to attending church with Mama and Papa in the future. And why would I not? Every other little person in the church is eating Cheerios. First a few more teeth and then Cheerios for everyone (on Papa, of course)! In any event, congratulations to Mama on this step in her life, and I thank her for serving as such a role model. I love you, Mama!

And for the non-religious blog followers, Holy Week has a secular component as well. The Church of Harry Caray convenes this week, meaning that tomorrow (Monday, April 6th, 2009) serving as Major League Baseball's Opening Day is actually "Holy Cow" Day. Go Cubbies!


Carter

Someone in heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: