Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Worth the Wait...

Greetings and salutations,

Continuity is something that humanity tends to embrace. So as not to offend my colleagues in the human race, I shall aim to provide such an entity. My most recent musings concluded with a reference to the start of Holy Week, namely "Holy Cow" Day. While not recognized by Pope Benedict XVI (yet), this is a day meant to celebrate the start of the regular season for the Chicago Cubs. 2009 represents my first experience with this day, and I thought I should share my reflections.

The Cubs are a proud organization, rich with baseball history. Admittedly, my knowledge of said history is rudimentary at best. My insight into the historical tales of the Cubbies is limited to the stories that Papa has shared with me. We have, at least superficially, covered the gamut of Cubs lore. From the famous combination of Tinkers to Evers to Chance to Mr. Cubbie himself and into the contemporary conglomeration of stars. One particularly noteworthy discussion focused on the aforementioned double play combination and their World Series title, the last one secured by the Chicago Cubs. To that end, I recommend that you peruse the following article regarding this season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908_Chicago_Cubs_season. While I occasionally cringe at the overutilization of the pop culture icon that has become Wikipedia, I think this article is sound. It shows that talent, heady play, and a little luck can take a team a long way.

In any event, as Papa and I spent the winter gearing up for the regular season by learning about the Cubs, a tremendous excitement began to percolate. I simply could not wait to witness the Cubs' latest pursuit of a coveted World Series title. In fact, one could say that I have been drooling extensively over the prospect (or maybe that is just the result of my teeth). With the Cubs Family Museum coming along nicely, adorned with my own Cubs recliner (including sippy cup holder), I was apparently all set. The only thing remaining was for "Holy Cow" Day itself to arrive.


And at last, Monday, April 6th brought with it a wonderful celebration. Needless to say, it was everything for which I had hoped. Mama and I settled into our posh yet not overly ostentatious Cubs Family Museum in time to hear the analytical stylings of Len and Bob. With a frosty beverage in hand, I believe it is called water, I settled in for a nine inning duel between my beloved Cubbies and the division rival Houston Astros. And just as Alfonso Soriano started off the year in style by hitting the second pitch of the season over the left field fence at Minute Maid Park, I let out a resounding...snore. It seems that the hype, anticipation, and pregame festivities had exhausted my energy. I later awoke to find the Cubs victorious (4-2 for those keeping score at home) and all right with the world. Boy, if the first two pitches of the season are this exciting, I wonder if I will be able to contain myself for 161 more contests.


Carter

Someone in heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: