Friday, April 17, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!


Greetings and salutations,

As most of you are well aware, sometimes one simply needs to get away. With all the hustle and bustle that can be the everyday grind, a refreshing sabbatical to a pleasant destination can be the key to recharging those batteries. After eight solid months of consuming countless bottles and scores of naps, I simply needed a break. Consequently, I packed Mama and Papa into the family cruiser and we all headed to Chicago.

Needless to say, this excursion was absolutely fantastic. And while I assuredly enjoyed the nuances of downtown Chicago (including Niketown...What a splendid representation of modern retail marvel!), the highlight of the trip had to be the not one, but two voyages to beloved Wrigley Field. For literally months Mama and Papa have been extolling the virtues of this historic landmark. Thus, I was truly excited to visit this sacred ground, especially during the opening week of the 2009 season.

It goes without saying that I was not disappointed. Donned in all the Cubbie blue Mama and Papa could find, we stopped to see all the highlights along the way into Wrigley. We strolled by the well-known fire station on Sheffield Avenue, visited the "Mr. Cub" Ernie Banks statue, and checked out the world famous marquee. Then, we finally ambled through the turnstiles. It was everything for which I could have hoped. Papa pointed out the optimism on the faces of the Cubs fans, postulating that this could be due to any of three potential explanations: 1) A retooled team with strong prospects for finally ending the 101 year title drought; 2) We are playing the Colorado Rockies, cause for optimism for teams throughout the National League on a regular basis; or 3) The Rockies are scheduled to pitch Jason Marquis, whom Cubs fans will recall was not exactly the bright spot of the rotation over the past two years. Nonetheless, the energy and excitement was palpable. Mix in the alluring aroma of hot dogs, the ever-smiling faces of the Cubs employees, and more Cubbie blue than even Papa has in his closet and it was the best kind of sensory overload imaginable for an eight month old. And at that point I had not even seen the actual field yet!

Awwww and what a field it is. Seeing that perfectly manicured grass with the crisp chalk lines was a sight to behold. Decorate it with nine of my favorite Cubs players in their (as Pat Hughes would say) bright white with the blue pinstripped tops and pants, blue caps, and blues shoes and one has concocted an image that Van Gogh could not replicate.

From that first view the day only got better. Before the game got underway Papa and I shared my first Ballpark hot dog, a necessity at any baseball contest. As an aside, please see the associated photograph. Again, I note that I have yet to be signed for any national advertising campaigns. Ballpark, you have, or perhaps had, Michael Jordan in your stable of endorsers. What a double play combination you could have with me on your payroll. Once again, please contact Papa as he handles my business ventures. I should also point out the excellent actor that I have become. The untrained eye may not be able to spot the fact that I am not actually dining upon the hot dog itself, but rather only the delectable bun. Rest assured, I consulted with my personal trainer who informed me that an occasional "bad" carbohydrate will not completely destroy my training regimen and strict adherence to the Atkins diet.


Anyway, I should admit that I did nod off after the first pitch and the brisk Lake Michigan winds prevented us from staying very long. Regardless, it was an experience to behold. To paraphrase the immortal Ferris Bueller (not only a famous Chicago resident, albeit from the suburbs, but also an avid Cubs fan), "If you have the means, I highly recommend" it.

As a quick aside, April 15th, 2009 was a day of firsts for one other reason. As referenced earlier, Mama and Papa were concerned that the Windy City might have been a bit too windy on that day, so we elected to depart early and watch the game from a local establishment. And when one is in Wrigley Field there is no other place like the famed Cubbie Bear. It was this bar that shall go down in infamy as the first pub in which I was thrown out. Apparently, the bouncer did not buy my excuse that Alice ate my photo identification. Therefore, we packed up shop and headed back toward Michigan Avenue.

For historical sake, I should point out that the Cubs fell to the Rockies on that day by a tally of 5-2. Rich Harden struggled to locate the strike zone on occasion and we left a plethora of runners on base. Oh, and I really did not disucss our return to Wrigley Field the following day to take in the best rivalry in baseball, Cubs versus Cardinals. The weather was far more accommodating on Thursday, April 16th. We took in most of the contest, but alas the outcome was no better for our heroes. Again, the Cubs lost, this time by a score of 7-4. I was a little concerned that my presence at Wrigley may have contributed to our squad's demise on consecutive days; however, Papa reassured me that if I had not been present they probably would have been no-hit. Whew, then I am glad I made the voyage!

In closing, I admit that I have not seen a bevy of ballparks around the country. But, I will say that I find it difficult to fathom that any locale can top Wrigley Field. For what it lacks in modern amenities (Who wants to dine upon lobster at a baseball game anyway?) it more than makes up for in ambiance and history. Papa informs me that over the next sixty-plus years we will spend our time following the Cubs and appreciating all that makes Wrigley Field and the Chicago Cubs a joy for which to root. That sounds like time well spent to me!


Carter

Someone in heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: