Friday, April 10, 2009

Reminders...

Greetings and salutations,

Papa and I have been conversing again, which inevitably means that I have ample fodder for the latest blog. Lately, over a cup of formula (caffeine-free, of course), we discussed the nuances of memories. As one might imagine, my catalog of memories is relatively short, spanning perhaps a volume or two. However, Papa informed me that as I begin to encounter varying experiences in life my repertoire of vivid recollections will expand exponentially. He told me that the strangest things will create lasting synapses. For instance, when Papa visited Disney World at the tender age of seven he was instructed to remember precisely where the family had parked or a return home would be impossible (See "The Parking Garage", episode six of season three of the epic comedy Seinfeld. More information available at that pesky, "definitive", and "authoritative" resource Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Parking_Garage). To this very day he recalls that the family truckster rested in lot Donald Duck 65. Papa retorts that he struggles to recall the Wells Criteria for risk stratification of pulmonary embolism but apparently inane trivia leaps from his cortex at almost every turn.

This discussion included the related topic of reminders of memories. I struggled to grasp this notion initially, perhaps because I was still wrapping my mind around the concept of memories, in and of themselves. But, Papa found a way to explain this subject to me. He reminded me of my Christmas gift to him last year. Anybody who knows Papa is keenly aware that shoes hold a sacred place in his nexus. Two types of shoes in particular strike his fancy, one of which are Nike Shox. This point was not lost on me, readily apparent at even the tender age of five months. Therefore, Mama and I were able to locate him a splendid pair of Nike Shox Turbo VII kicks for this past yuletide season. Papa elected to designate these shoes as a critical component of his work ensemble. He informed me that this was by design so that everyday when he laces up his shoes and puts his stethoscope around his neck, he will be reminded of that which has most blessed his life. For I gave him his shoes and many years ago Mama gave him his Master Cardiology stethoscope. These tangible things not only remind him of us but also of the memories of time spent together and the anticipation of the additional time together just around the bend.

This is exactly why Papa says memories, and little reminders of those memories, are of the utmost significance in life. While Papa has the privilege of returning home after work to see Mama and I, sometimes future time spent together is not feasible. Thus, memories may be all that remains and should be coveted. Papa asked me to cherish those around me and the experiences we share. He stated that, while cliche, life is short (sometimes far too short). To that end, one should attempt to create vivid imagery of the special people and moments that inhabit our lives. Mama and Papa are grateful that someone imparted that lesson to them for it has enabled them to remember those that have come and gone in their lives and share the associated lessons learned with me.


Carter

Someone in heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: