Friday, March 13, 2009

Alice in Wonderland...

Greetings and salutations,

Well, that certainly did not last as long as one might have expected. My reign lasted approximately 227 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes, and 37 seconds, give or take. I ruled the roost, sauntering about with a sense of pride and uniqueness. Yes, I was the baby of the family. No, your second cranial nerve has not betrayed you; I did incorporate the word "was" into the previous sentence. I am no longer the newest addition to our household. Mama and Papa, with my approval of course, elected to secure a beautiful, buxom Saint Bernard puppy for our home. With tremendous excitement and anticipation, we welcomed Alice in Wonderland into our home yesterday.

Now, I must confess that Alice in Wonderland is her formal moniker, much like the combination of one's name and surname. I prefer to refer to her by Alice. Alright, alright...I am still mastering the art of the English pronunciation. Once I grasp the nuances of "Mama" and perhaps "Papa", I shall proceed along to "Alice" and "flibbertigibbet" (also known as a silly, flighty person; that may actually be a practical term for many of you to incorporate into your vernacular. Who does not know such a person? Okay, I do not but everyone seems to forget that I am only seven months old).

Regardless, Alice and I are able to converse freely, and we have started to develop a kinship. She frequently seats herself next to me and watches over me. I often latch onto her fur and pet her. Admittedly, my still developing dexterity may lend itself to the occasional, unintentional firm petting, but Alice does not seem to mind. She licks my face just the same. And I am beginning to learn about commonality; while our relationship is still in its infancy (much like everything in my life), we have several intriguing similar behaviors. For instance, both Alice and I have a tendency to go to the bathroom whenever the mood strikes, regardless of where we are located. Truth be told, I think Alice is improving in this regard. She lets Mama and Papa know when a restroom break is in order and they allow her to go outside. Maybe I should go outside when it is time to relieve myself.

In any event, I love having Alice around. And there is no ill will over her replacing me as the baby of the family. I may not be able to reclaim that title but that is acceptable. In this trade I gain a companion for years to come. I now have someone else, in addition to Mama and Papa, waiting for my love and affection. The notable difference is that Mama and Papa tend to drool less, save for when Papa is sleeping that is. Also, Alice will be a fantastic guardian. She already tips the scales at fifteen pounds. Before long the puppy will weigh more than Papa! At the end of the day, I welcome Alice in Wonderland into our home, a place that can certainly be described as "wonderfulland".


Carter

Someone in heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: