Monday, March 09, 2009

Truly Blessed...


Greetings and salutations,

Earlier today I donned my new aquatic attire in order to perform a bit of Internet surfing. Alright, I am speaking entirely in metaphor. But, I did notice something on the ol' World Wide Web yesterday that piqued my attention. Of course, my electronic curiosity was under the direct supervision of an adult over the age of 18, if not in terms of behavior then certainly in age. Surely, many of you quickly surmised that the guide to my digital exploits was Papa. In any event, we were scouring Mama's Facebook page when something interesting caught me eye. Mama's status statement read, "Amy is so blessed." When I noted this proclivity to Papa it spurred a fantastic discussion, the highlights of which I would like to share at this time.

Mama and Papa are employed in a place where they have the extraordinary opportunity to help people on a daily basis. With this privilege comes the weight of seeing individuals who are truly suffering. Papa told me that one of the most difficult things for him to see is ill children. Youth are to be exuberant and the embodiment of all that is beautiful in the world. Innocent and free to explore everything that the world has to offer, children have phenomenal potential. To see that struck down or inhibited by illness, no matter the severity, is emotionally taxing for Papa. Just imagine the stress that those close to such a child are experiencing.

As the conversation progressed, Papa stated that he was astounded by health as much as sickness. Papa asked me to consider the exceptional genetic and physiologic complexities of the human body. Okay, reality break here. I struggled with this task, to say the least. However, when I boiled it down to something I have a better handle on, it made a lot more sense. Look how complicated my feet are! It is quite a production just to get those things in my mouth, as many of you read previously. That truly but things into perspective for me. Anyway, tangents aside, Papa marveled at how the human body works in perfect concert the vast majority of the time. The odds that something would go amiss seem exponential yet pale mightily in actuality.

The moral of the story, as Papa explained it to me, is that he is exceptionally thankful that he and Mama have their own good health. But more importantly, they are so grateful that I am so energetic, full of life, and without a malady. Hey, I do what I can.

Returning to the statement that spurred this discourse, Papa hesitated to speculate on the precise meaning of Mama's Facebook posting. But, being the relatively astute individual that I seem to be at times, I think I might have some insight into the underlying context. Perhaps Mama is referring to a life that is not perfect, that has its trials and tribulations like most. However, I hypothesize that she has reached the conclusion that many would envy her life, especially the twenty-one pound smiling piece of heaven contained therein. And none of it could not be traded for anything in this world or beyond. Of course, that is purely speculation on my part. Yet, given the almost existential bond that I have with Mama, I suspect that I am not far off. Regardless of the reason, I am glad that she feels blessed; I feel the exact same way.


Carter

Someone in heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: