Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Nap Time!...

Greetings and salutations,

Today's topic du jour is sleep. As I understand it, this entity is a fantastic representation of capitalistic economics. The demand for sleep often, if not virtually always, outweighs the supply. The analogy breakdown because it is one of those delicacies in life that has, strictly speaking, no monetary value. It is prized by virtually everyone and there rarely seems to be enough of it. That is, however, unless you are a beautiful, bounding baby boy (or a cat...But my kitty Scotch is a topic for another positing.).

Sleep has been a relevant topic in our home of late. Papa is currently working the night shifts; while he seems to have little difficulty falling asleep, finding the time to do so is another matter. He wants to spend all his time playing rings with me, and thus sleep slips down the priority list. His altered schedule this week also has him swinging by my school for visits occasionally. Papa claims this is so that I remember his ol' mug. That, of course, is not a relevant issue; I think he is there because he genuinely misses me.

Yesterday, Papa made his semi-regular visit to school so that we could converse about the day's current events, economic forecasts, and perhaps most significantly, my daily activities in class. Unfortunately for Papa, I inadvertently amended my afternoon schedule to accommodate a brief respite. I was later informed that I was found curled up on my left side, hands grasping the crib as though it was the last container of Gerber 1st green beans on earth, feet splayed in an elevated fashion on the end of the crib. The piece de resistance of this beautiful scenario was the patent-pending Carter Cover Up. What is this phenomenon, you ask? Well, please allow me to elaborate.

In surveying the population at large, it seems that most people tend to go to sleep when it is dark. But I find myself sleepy in some of the heliocentric world's most bright hours. Consequently, I developed a method for addressing this issue. Garnering a scarlet letter as an outcast for violating the social morays of sleep is not something I wish to do at such a tender age. I too yearn to sleep in the dark. Therefore, when I go to sleep I almost unequivocally pull a blanket, burp rag, or any similar object over my face. Many a time have Mama and Papa found me in the back seat of the car after a trip to the store with my blanket pulled over my face. Of course, a breathable fabric is highly recommended for this activity. Legal counsel has informed me that I am not liable for any maladies that may transpire with the implementation of this method. This is one of the finer points which has held me up at both the Patent Office and with the FDA. With the patent pending and sponsorship deals still being finalized, I have elected to post a photograph sans the Carter Cover Up. Let your imagination be your guide.

In any event, back to the topic at hand, needless to say Papa was a bit disappointed that he could not engage in witty banter with me yesterday. Thus, he proceeded on to work, waiting with tantalizing anticipation for the time when we could be reunited. In an ironic twist of fate, Papa was later informed that I concluded my siesta five minutes after his departure. We later discussed sleeping, and Papa informed me that there are few things as peaceful and touching as watching a baby sleep, especially one's own child. The innocence of a child is never more apparent as when they are slumbering. Sometimes Mama and Papa just watch me sleep, I am told, and marvel at how blessed they are. After such retrospection, it occurs to me that the "sleeping like a baby" should not only be sought for its physical restorative qualities but perhaps also for its ability to restore the soul.


Carter

Someone in heaven is always looking after me...

No comments: